Answer by Experience Andamans:
Well, actually ships are fun to be honest. It all depends on your taste of travel. Usually, groups of friends, backpackers or honeymoon couples prefer to travel one way through Ship to the Andaman. However, there are few things to actually take care while planning:
1) Direct ships to Port Blair are only from Chennai and Kolkata. You will have to reach the dock to board these ships. These docks are usually not in the heart of the city and is a little cumbersome specially during boarding the ship.
2) These Ships are not cruises as we see in pictures. These are maintained by the Government of India and have basic facilities only. Food, Cinema, Swimming Pool (We traveled couple of times any the pool was always dry :P) and few other things.
3) There are different classes in ships as we have in trains. It starts from Bunker (Common dormitory with common bathroom, we never suggest this until you are really short of funds), Second is a cabin with 6 sharing, then a cabin with 4 sharing and finally a cabin with 2 sharing. These classes may vary based on the ship. The best is Swaraj Deep that leaves from Chennai.
4) Ships take almost 3-4 Days to reach Port Blair and vice versa
5) If you have never traveled in ships then you may expect to get sea sickness. Its normal to many traveling for the first time in ships for long duration. There are some sea sickness tablets that you should carry during your ride.
6) If you think that traveling by ship will reduce your travel cost then it is not true. The higher classes usually cost more than the average flight fare.
Having said the above. Well, folks who the hell in this world does not want to ride in an open sea. It is really charismatic when you, in the middle of the ocean along with your loved ones ride, ride the ocean 🙂
Hope this helps you decide whether to avail ships or not.