Sun, sand, and sightseeing is what Andaman is all about. It is an ideal destination to keep your stress baggage aside and walk freely on the beach with your partner or family. Explore various places and of course go to sight see and know about the culture and lifestyle of the natives. Often tourists ask, what are the things to do in Andaman? But shopaholics looking for something unique and innovative and want to know about the shopping scenario in the Islands. So, let’s find out what are the popular things to buy in the Andaman Islands?
Shopping is an indispensable part of a vacation and collecting souvenirs for closed ones is one thing every tourist definitely does while visiting a new place. Many people question what to get as souvenirs from the Andaman Islands? First, let’s discuss what should not be bought in Andaman and why?
- If you are planning to buy clothes here, it is not a wise choice. As you know most of the items in the Andaman Islands are transported from the mainland so buying clothes here should not be on your shopping list. You can instead buy good quality/ fashionable clothes at reasonable prices from your own city.
- Gadgets should definitely not be on your shopping list when in Andaman. When most of the things are imported to the Islands there is no point purchasing gadgets here because you may get better choices and prices on the mainland.
What should be on your shopping list?
The Andaman Islands, which are so beatific, magnanimous and pristine, have always been popular amongst tourists because of its aesthetics and relaxed vibes. The rustic theme of the islands have captivated millions of hearts and tourists love to visit here time and again. Yes, they are known for their simplicity and mesmerizing beauty but Andaman is also a handicraft hub. If you are a collector of oddly beautiful things then your budget should be flexible as your list will be long. The Andaman Islands are famous for:
- Wooden artifacts: What the Andaman Islands has in abundance is wood. The locals here judiciously use this asset by carving beautiful wooden artifacts and preparing kitchen utilities. These are perfect souvenirs as the artistry wooden pieces compliments interiors of any theme whether a modern or classic. Also, they are low in maintenance and are not brittle, hence can be carried easily and will not rust or decay.
- Coconut carved decoration pieces: As coconut drinks are popular in the Andaman Islands similarly decoration pieces made of coconut is the highlight here. You will find many variants in decoration pieces here including coconut lamps, coconut-shaped mugs, etc. It gives a very ethnic look and coconut lamps can even be used to lighten up the patio creating a warm and relaxing ambiance.
- Ornaments made of shells: The Andaman Islands is a home to the beautiful items and jewelry made of seashells. The natives use seashells in almost every item to decorate handbags to sarongs to mats and fuse the modern and ethnic look. Neck pieces made from seashells make a perfect souvenir for your loved ones.
- Crafts made from Cane: Have you ever wondered how will a cane handbag look like? Beautiful is the word. Cane is not just used to make furniture or hats but Nicobari women use cane to make handbags that are a hot favorite of travelers. These are beautiful, durable and embellished with seashells that make them look all the more spectacular. Perfect vacation bags, these can be bought from the lively streets of Port Blair or popular Aberdeen Bazaar known for ethnic products. Bamboo placemats, floor mats or bed mats also count for a perfect present if you are gifting it to a fitness freak or someone who loves eco-friendly and ethnic products.
- Spices: Cinnamon, the king of herbs, cardamom, cloves and black pepper should be on your shopping list here if you love to cook. These are freshly grown and available in abundance in the Andaman Islands and are of superior quality. So, pack a bundle for your friends and family.
- Sarongs and Hats: The Andaman Islands are known for beaches and what is the fun going to the beach wearing jeans that will obstruct you from enjoying sunbath or dive in the sea? Opt for sarongs that will make you look beautiful and beach ready. These are made of simple cotton or georgette material that is light in weight and non-sticky. Compliment printed sarongs with bamboo hats and you are good to go to the beach and yet ditch sunburn.
- Pearl Jewellery: Who doesn’t love pearls? Nicobari women make beautiful neckpieces, rings, and bracelets from pearl. Pearls and seashells combined together make beautiful ornaments that are available at reasonable prices and can be worn anytime and anywhere.
If you are looking for a place that has everything to offer then without a doubt opt for the Andaman Islands. It is an ideal destination for adventure seekers as they can enjoy water sports, families can opt for sightseeing and shopping enthusiasts can shop all they want and collect exquisite tropical souvenirs. Best places to shop in Andaman include Aberdeen Bazaar in Port Blair; it has everything that you need from sarongs to handicrafts to jewelry. Apart from this market, one can also explore Goalghar, Junglighat, Prem Nagar and Delanipur and there are many street markets near beaches that offer best of the products at reasonable prices.
In Havelock Islands, there is a small emporium called Anup Eco Arts, which specifically deals in artifacts made of coconut including coconut lamps. The owner manufactures his own products and the shop has been featured on television as one of the popular shops in the Andaman Islands to buy souvenirs. He is famous among the tourists especially European travelers for his eco-friendly, innovative and reasonable souvenirs. So if you are on Havelock Island then do not forget to visit this place to get something exquisite and unique.
Keep visiting our blog to get more valuable insights into the Andaman life.