Andaman North Bay Island
North Bay Island is one among the most popular destination in Andaman Islands. Usually, this trip is covered as part of both North Bay island along with Ross Island. However, you could also select just North Bay island trip as well, for that you have to charter a private boat from Andaman water sports complex. Now, the boarding point for North Bay island keeps changing based upon Government regulation. Sometimes it is Andaman Water Sports Complex and sometimes it is Junglighat jetty. You will have to know where to go to board the ferry before moving to North Bay Island.
North Bay Island offers people with beautiful coral reefs alluring to visitors who are visiting this destination for the first time. Activities such as snorkeling, scuba diving, sea walking, glass boat ride, semi submarine are available at the island. Now, North Bay offers much more activities for travellers than Havelock and Neil Island. Apparently, the light house seen at the back of a 20 Rupee Indian note is from the the North Bay Island. Isn’t that good know. Well, the reason is not known as to why this destination was chosen to be at the back of a 20 Rupee note, however, it feels great to be a part of it.
Trip to the North Bay Island begins from the Andaman Water Sports Complex or Junglighat Jetty. The boats, which start from the Andaman Water Sports complex/ Junglighat Jetty, can accommodate up to 200 people and are equipped with life jackets and life rings for your safety. The group is also accompanied by a guide who briefs you about the islands history during your travel. The journey to the island is good, if not less.
Now, in 2018 a lot of different kinds of ferries with varied capacity, experience and speed have come up. In addition, new activities such has Dolphin Glass boat ride and Coral Safari Semi Submarine are also operational. Honestly, in 2013 you just had a couple of options for water activities in North Bay, however, these days you have a lot to do in North Bay and the professionalism has just gone up. Thanks to Andaman tourism and all the operators who have worked hard to make it happen.
The boat reaches North Bay Island where you get down on the island and can avail any water activity that you are interested in or can just sit by the beach and to chill out. Usually, at North Bay Island you can only get down in the waters with a guide just to consider the safety of the travellers. This trip is so well organized taking into account the safety of the people and also the coral reefs which surround this magnificent island.
WHEN AT THE ISLAND
At the island you will find various scuba shops offering scuba diving and snorkeling. The glass bottom boat rides can also be availed to view the magnificent coral reefs. Sea Walk at North Bay island is a must do activity at this island, North Bay island was handpicked by the experts for Sea Walk because such reef and varieties of fishes available here were not found at many other islands. The Sea walk paltoon (stationed boat) is stationed just few meters away from the island and the sea walk team would take you from the North Bay island to their paltoon.
THINGS TO NOTE
1) Snorkeling, scuba diving and sea walk can be avoided, if the weather is not good as the visibility of the reefs are not at its best during this time.
However, if you don’t have much time then you should at least avail the Sea Walk activity.
2) The guides at the boat usually describe the history of the island in Hindi.
3) The trip might get cancelled in case of bad weather.
4) Moderate rain will not hamper the trip. Well the island looks much beautiful when it drizzles.
5) In case of rain, necessary arrangements are made for you not to get wet.
6) Shacks are available to eat.
7) Changing room and rest rooms are available.
8) Remember the name of the boat which you board as this same boat will take you back to Port Blair. Don’t worry in case you have missed your boat. Alternative arrangements on a different boat are made. However, it is always advisable to continue your trip on the same boat.
9) 4 Hours is enough to visit this island.
10) For Elders and children those who are not comfortable to get into the waters can avail Andaman Dolphin Glass boat ride or Coral Safari Semi Submarine ride
1) The island is crowded during season time.
2) You cannot trek to the Light House.
3) Lying down on the beach would not be possible as the beach is covered mostly with loose gravels.
4) Guides do not brief about the islands in English.
1) Best spot for Sea Walk
2) Boat Ride is good
3) Friendly and Cooperative staff.
4) View of the jungle surrounding the island is beautiful.
5) Most kind of water activities are available at this island.
IS THIS TRIP SAFE
The safety of the passengers is taken into account during all facets of the travel right from when you board the boat till the time you return back.
Life rings and life jackets are provided during glass bottom boat ride and snorkeling.
Pre purchase of Scuba and Sea Walk at North Bay Island would be helpful else due to overload you might not get a ticket.
Ticket to North Bay island can be availed by standing in a queue or your operator can book it on your behalf.
Charter boats exclusive to North Bay Island or North Bay and Ross Island is provided by Experience Andamans