The North Bay Island also known as the Coral Island is a beautiful beach island not far from Port Blair; it is surrounded by a wonderful beach known for its underwater coral reserves and a variety of fishes which makes it an essence of natural marine beauty and a perfect spot for underwater activities.
Today, there is hardly any traveler who doesn’t include North Bay is their itinerary.
The bright and colorful coral reef is indeed a great sight! It has one of the most widespread collections of coral stretches in the sea. The Island is mostly famous for the activities that are conducted there. The island is also one of the most visited places in the Andaman.
People planning to visit North Bay generally cover it as “a day-long Island Hopping trip” that covers two most popular islands- North Bay Coral Island together with Ross Island. You will read more about Ross Island in our exclusive section where we have given a detailing to the Gem of Andaman’s history- The Ross Island.
The North Bay Island is the hotspot for water sports in the entire Andaman Islands. The North Bay Island is just an hour away from Port Blair. North bay can be visited from the Rajiv Gandhi Water sports complex. This Island is preferred by tourists of all kinds for taking the water sports and activities.
What makes this island an ideal spot for all groups of travelers is the versatility it offers to people looking for some relaxation or an adventure junkie who wants to try the thrilling activities or someone who just wants to admire nature North Bay Island is the perfect spot for them! It gives its visitors a bit of both adventure and leisure which will not bore them.
What to expect when in North Bay Island?
Since North Bay Island is closer to the city, a lot of tourists keep visiting this place often. It might get pretty crowded sometimes and the tourists are requested to be cautious. As this region is a tropical place its better for the tourists to come dressed in cotton clothing and wear proper footwear.
It is always better to carry an extra pair of clothing to change after finishing the water activities.
Proper changing rooms and washrooms are available here. Food stalls are also present at North bay where one can eat during the day. For any of the activities that you avail, you will be instructed about various safety aspects before starting the activity. Make sure you pay attention to the instructor.
While staying underwater do not touch the corals or the fishes around you and always follow what your instructor has to say.
How to book tickets to North Bay Island?
Experience Andamans team can book your tickets to North Bay Island.
The tickets to North Bay Island can be purchased directly at the Rajiv Gandhi water sports complex by standing in a queue or your Island expert can book it on your behalf. For pre-booking, you have to ask your tour operator to book the tickets for you. if you plan to book a ticket after reaching Andaman then there is a possibility of the tickets getting sold out. If all the tickets for that day are already booked, you’ll have to either arrange a chartered boat or wait for the next day.
Can we stay at North Bay Island?
There are no accommodations at North Bay Islands. There are shacks & food joints here that provide decent food/ snacks & beverages. Changing and washroom facilities are also available here. But no stay. After completing all the activities and the visit, the tourists are supposed to exit the island latest by 3 PM and stay the night at Port Blair.
Things to note
Before we head to our FAQs section, we have listed down a few quickies for you to note and make your planning a little more polished. After all, that is our major goal.
You should know these things when traveling to North Bay
- If the weather at the island is not pleasant scuba diving and snorkeling can be avoided because the visibility of the reef will not be at its best during such conditions.
- In case of bad weather, the trip might get canceled.
- Moderate rains will not hamper the trip; Well, the island looks much more beautiful when it drizzles.
- In the case of rains, necessary arrangements for shelter are provided.
- Elders and children who are not comfortable with the underwater activities can avail the Andaman Dolphin Glass Boat or The Coral Safari Semi Submarine ride. Which enables you to see all that lies beneath the vast open sea without getting into your fear of water.
Pros of North Bay Island
- This is considered to be the best place for sea walking.
- Ferries/boats are well equipped with safety requirements hence no worry of water fear or safety issues.
- The staff is friendly and cooperative to guide you through.
- The jungle surrounding the island gives an exotic view to the already beautiful island.
- A variety of shops for food and refreshments are available. So no need of carrying bites and snacks for the trip.
Cons of North Bay Island
The island is crowded during the season time. Hence, if you do not have a pre-booking for water activities, you may have a lot of waiting time which may spoil your mood.
Guides brief about the island only in Hindi and not in English. So if you are a non-Hindi lingual person, make sure you have a tour manager from your tour operator who briefs you about the place before you board the ferry.
Traveling with Experience Andamans? Then no need to worry about this part. As our team of multilingual tour coordinators will make it easier for you.